1. The pilot youth leadership program was conducted from 21 Jul to 23 Jul 17. There were forty students from SMK Khai Mun, Bentong participating in this program. The forty students consists of 21 female and 19 male students, of which 11 students were Chinese, 2 Indians and the remainder were Malays. Most of the Chinese students were unable to attend due to varied reasons. They were accompanied by four teachers at any one time.
2. This aim of this program is on character building with leadership skills. The students are also exposed to communication and social skills, community service, creativity and problem solving.
The Learning Environment
3. An effective learning environment was created through balancing risk with the benefits of learning. To create this learning environment we:
a. Provided physical and emotional safety to help them to take risks that can assist them to grow.
b. Provided guidance from experienced and matured adults.
c. Designed challenging and engaging activities to challenge their grit and creativity.
4. The topics covered in this youth leadership program are:
a. Youth leadership practices.
b. Thriving skills.
c. Creativity and problem solving.
Program Activities And Lessons
5. Survival Demonstration - A lesson in thriving under difficult situation.
6. Social Skills in Action.
7. Awareness of the Importance of Physical FitnessSocial Skills in Action.
8. Activity to promote forward-planning, problem solving , coordination and organisation.
9. Activity to promote lessons on perseverance, grit, planning and organisation.
10. Setting up the highest transmitting tower. Lessons on coordination and team work. Patience and clear direction from the leader is important. Most important everyone has to keep their cool and don’t give up…true grit.Activity to promote lessons on perseverance, grit, planning and organisation.
11. Creativity at work.
12. Testing their Creative concoction from the high canopy walk.
13. Understanding vision and a belief in their future.
14. Self-managed session on sharing and reflecting their performance, and lessons learned.
15. The written feedback shows that 100% of the students said that they enjoyed the course and that they learnt a lot of new knowledge and experience. On the effectiveness of the program 95% or 38 of the students says that the programs have positive effects on them. The remaining two students were not sure. Some of their testimonials are as stated below in verbatim.
|a.||From the girls:||i.||Program ini sangat bagus dan gembira dapat satukan pasukan berkerja sama.||ii.||Saya dapat belajar benda yang baru bersama ahli kumpulan saya.||iii.||Ya, saya dapat menatasi ketakutan yang tidak pernah dirasai.||iv.||Ya, saya dapat menjadi lebih tegas dalam memimpin ahli pasukan.||v.||Yes, these activities make me get a new experience and knowledge.||vi.||This program can make we know each other.||vii.||Yes, I can learn more experience I haven’t do before it. After doing all of these activities I feel full of energy.||viii.||Ya, dapat mengenal diri dalam segi kekurangan dan kelebihan.||ix.||Dapat berkomunikasi dengan lebih mudah.||x.||Banyak perubahan yang berlaku pada diri saya. Sebagai contoh melatih pemikiran saya untuk berfikir diluar kotak dan mengajar saya untuk menjadi seorang insan yang pandai menepati masa.|
|b.||From the boys:||i.||Menambah aktiviti yang lebih menarik dan mencabar.||ii.||Mendapat pengelaman baru, mendapat membuat kerja berkumpulan.||iii.||Menjadi diri kita lebih berkeyakinan.||iv.||Mendapat berkonsi pelbagai idea.||v.||Program ini memberi kesan kepada saya kepentingan kerjasama.||vi.||Saya dapat sedikit pengetahuan baru kerana tak fokus. Kawan kawan membantu dan tujuk ajar.||vii.||Saya semakin rapat dengan rakan.||viii.||Ya, jangan mengeluh sebelum mencuba.||ix.||Dapat pengetahuan dan banyak pengajaran yang saya dapat dalam program ini.|
16. Overall the program was conducted successfully and safely. The participation of Chinese students however needed to be emphasise for future programs. This program saw only 27.5% participation by Chinese students. To meet our drive to encourage more Chinese into mainstream role in our society, we need to ensure more Chinese student participation. This can also influence them to join the Government service, particularly the Military and Para-military forces. Based on the students’ feedback and also post-mortem discussion with the trainers, the program will be tweaked to further improve the modules and activities.
Lt Col Chua Eng Lye (Rtd)
4 Aug 17